We have just witnessed the passing of an icon.
Although I am not really old enough to remember everything he accomplished in his life, I will always remember New Years Eve.
I remember it when he was healthy, and I remember it after his stroke. It was painful to watch, but I admired his courage and determination.
His stroke occurred in 2004, and the official cause of his death is a massive heart attack.
Here is the lesson for today, and something that most people don’t understand. Stroke and heart attack are caused by exactly the same thing.
Plaque formation and build up in the arteries.
In a heart attack, it’s the arteries supplying the heart. In a stroke, it’s the arteries supplying the brain.
Here are some sobering facts about heart attack and stroke:
Heart Attack Facts:
1. Every 34 seconds, someone in the USA suffers from a heart attack.
2. Coronary heart disease often results in a heart attack and is the leading killer of both men and women in the U.S.
3. Men over 40 have a one-in-two risk of developing some form of cardiovascular disease.
4. More women die of cardiovascular disease that the next five causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer.
1. Every 40 seconds someone in the U.S. suffers from a stroke.
2. Stroke is the third leading cause of death and a leading cause of disability in the U.S.
3. Twice as many women die of stroke than breast cancer every year.
4. High blood pressure is the number one cause of stroke.
5. Up to 80% of strokes are preventable.
So what can you do about it?
For sure start exercising. Find something you enjoy doing, otherwise you just won’t stick with it. I am a huge fan of Matt Furey’s Combat Conditioning. You can learn more about it on the Products page.
He uses simple, but extremely powerful exercises that can be done in 10-15 minutes per day with no equipment needed. I have been using his workouts for over 7 years.
The second thing you can do is start taking a Nitric Oxide (NO) boosting supplement. This is one of the most important pieces of research that came out of the 21st century and won the Nobel Prize in 1998.
Nitric Oxide is found naturally in the body and dilates the blood vessels.
L-arginine and L-citrulline, which are both amino acids, are used in supplement form to increase NO in the body.
We now carry a supplement in the office that has the perfect combination of L-arginine, L-citrulline and antioxidants to make drastic changes in blood pressure, cholesterol levels, blood glucose, and overall heart health.
It turns out this combination is hard to come by. Most supplements claiming to increase NO with L-arginine only have 1-2000 mg of it. But, the research clearly shows that 4-6,000 mg per day is what is needed.
Our supplement meets the criteria.
Also, beware of most of the bodybuilding sites that promote nitric oxide boosting supplements. They are usually loaded with artificial colors and sweeteners, and who knows what else.
So, if you are concerned about your blood pressure, cholesterol, or have a family history of heart disease, you might want to get some of the new supplement.
You can pick it up next time you are in the office.
That’s all for now.
Keep your heart healthy.